Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Keep a slab level with Great Stuff?

You don't need a grout pump to use non shrink grout. Mix it a little thin
and pour it down with a funnel.

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
Last spring, after I jacked up my 3x6 oil barrel slab I posted asking
about how to pump concrete under it to keep it where it is now.

Someone mentioned a grout pump & I've been watching for a good deal on
one all summer- but no joy. My plans to build one have gone through
lots of permutations- but when I saw the psi that commercial grout
pumps operate at [several hundred psi], I decided to try some other
thoughts.

Yesterday I thought I'd make a long nozzle for some masonry caulk and
pump that in with a caulk gun- maybe I could work buying a pneumatic
caulk gun into the job.

But today, when trying to decide what caulk was more likely to expand
than shrink- I thought of Great Stuff.

The only thing Dow warns against when using outside is exposure to
sunlight.

I calculate the weight at;
36x72x4" slab- 900 pounds
275gallons oil- 2100 pounds
Barrel- 300 pounds
snow 7 ice 300 pounds

total- 3600 pounds.
area- 2592 square inches-

So even if I only managed 50% coverage, we're talking about less than
a 3psi load. The Pro stuff is rated at nearly 20psi.

I'm not trying to raise the slab- just fill the 1/2-3/4 inch gap
created when I leveled it.

I think I'm going to give it a shot unless someone has tried it with
disastrous results. It is certainly both the cheapest and easiest
idea I've come up with so far. A few cans of Great stuff and some
extra tubing to get to the center of the slab.

Any thoughts?

Jim