Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Paul Feaker[_4_] Paul Feaker[_4_] is offline

Default Laser radiation question

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
CheetahHugger writes:

I am a bit worried about the experiments of my current roommate, i
know he is a very competent engineer but he has the habit of playing
with lasers.
Now he has a dvd burner laser inside a penlight housing which can
reach across the park here (and that's VERY far, but i'm worried about
he (or me) accidently staring into the beam and i can imagine if it
burns dvd's it will burn eyeballs, or not?
So, my question is if there are glasses... one can use to protect from
laser radiation.
Or am i on a wild goose chase and is it not as bad as i hear everywhere?

You're correct to be worried. DVD burner laser diodes can be as much
as 50 times more powerful than a legal laser pointer (5 mW).

Even a momentary flash in the eye at close range can cause permanent
damage.

There are laser safety goggles that can be worn, but they aren't cheap
or terribly fashionable.

More in the Laser FAQ.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above
is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included
in the

Forwarded to:

Reason: Replying to SPAM in newsgroup and additionally SPAMming newsgroup
with URL.