Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Paul Feaker[_4_] Paul Feaker[_4_] is offline

Default Laser radiation question

"G" wrote in message
In article
, Smitty
Two wrote:
In article ,
CheetahHugger wrote:

I am a bit worried about the experiments of my current roommate, i know
he is a very competent engineer but he has the habit of playing with
lasers.
Now he has a dvd burner laser inside a penlight housing which can reach
across the park here (and that's VERY far, but i'm worried about he (or
me) accidently staring into the beam and i can imagine if it burns dvd's
it will burn eyeballs, or not?
So, my question is if there are glasses... one can use to protect from
laser radiation.
Or am i on a wild goose chase and is it not as bad as i hear everywhere?

Cheetah

Oh yeah, get the glasses. They're cheap, especially compared to an
eyeball. We do some serious laser stuff at work, and the joke goes that
you only get to see a laser once with each eye. Looking at it from the
side is not a problem, but things happen. The door is locked and the big
red warning light is on when the laser range is active. Absolutely
foolish to **** with the thing in a public park.

I'm sure the glasses have to be for a specific wavelength.
I would imagine the CD lasers are near red radiation, but
it depends on the receptors best wavelength to transmit
power.

I was playing around with a blue laser, 100 mw a couple weeks ago.
Not really playing around, but was interesting and cost about $15K.

Those green pen lasers are pretty cheap now, and are
great for fooling around pointing at night. much brighter than red, and my
red 535nm laser is the brightest red I have. I do want to get my own
green.

Playing around with high powered lasers is about like pointing a BB gun
around.
Don't put their eyes out !!

greg

Forwarded to

Reason: Participating in spamming a newsgroup.