Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Air hammer chisel guidance

According to Larry Jaques :
On 14 Oct 2007 02:44:28 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
(DoN. Nichols) quickly quoth:

O.K. But could the female's doohickey getting cocked have
anything to do with the vibration from the air hammer?

No, they do it from day one. I think 95%+ of the vibrations go out the
front of the gun on the chisel (If you let the gun do the work like
you're supposed to) and your hands take up 4% more. If there were lots
of vibration, there would be more broken male fittings. I've only had
the one break on me. Others were used daily for 1 or 2 decades.

O.K.

[ ... ]

from a hamfest along with a nice screwdriver one is something called a
"Screw-Stick". It has a hex drive at the bottom and a tube to just

[ ... ]

Sounds handy for production work.

Indeed so. And if I have a lot of something to make, I'll be
sure to design it to be held by the 4-40 threads that these use -- *if*
I can get more sticks of screws. :-)

Don't wait. Just make them on your lathe, Don. bwahahahaha

This is a task for a small CNC lathe with a controlled feed
through the spindle -- and probably a cylindrical guide into the
tailstock (or even hex bore rotating in bearings) to keep the weakened
(torque limiting) spots from letting it whip and fly apart.

There just is not enough room between the top of one head and the
bottom of another for standard single-point threading on a manual
machine. Believe me -- I have considered this.

[ ... ]

And don't worry, Don. You'll find dozens of other uses for the air
chisel once you get using it for a while. There are plenty of
different planishing hammer heads for them if you're into that.

I'm sure that I will. I keep picking up new tools (or used
ones) as opportunity presents itself -- and then worry about why I need
them. :-)

That's the way it's supposed to be done. Looks cool? "It's MINE! Hmm,
now what am I going to use it for?" And then I find dozens of uses.
As soon as the tool rests in my shop (or truck, nowadays), uses
automatically develop for it.

:-)

A friend had already gotten one of the newer ones before I could
warn him, and I am still amazed at how much noise it makes. It is even
worse when his Newfie chews through the hose. :-)

Crapsman is its own punishment.

At least these days. Back in the mid 1960s Craftsman tools were
pretty good. I got three tenths vernier micrometers (0-1, 1-2, and
2-3) which I am sure were made by Scherr Tumico.

And I just recently picked up a nice drill press vise with the
Craftsman name cast in the stationary jaw -- but it is basically one of
the Ralmike ones -- quick release, slide of the jaw, and a lever which
cams the movable jaw against the workpiece. I don't know when this was
made, but I am willing to bet that I would not be able to find it in
today's Sears catalogs. :-)

I have other tools from the 1960s which are still in excellent
condition.

But -- I would not buy today's Craftsman branded tools.

(As are dogs. My fracking neighbors
have guests so the number of barking dogs in their yard is now
doubled. I'm really, really depressed that I can't sight in my SKS
scope on them.)

Well -- this dog is over friendly. The first time he saw my
wife (who is 4' 11" tall) he came up to her, put his paws on her
shoulders (ready to lick her face) and toppled her over onto the lawn.
No harm done, and we make sure that she has a prop behind her (often me)
when the dog is free to reach her. And he does very little barking, and
what little he does is low pitched enough so it is not annoying.

However, little yappers are a totally different matter.

We have cats -- not dogs -- even though I am allergic to cats.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |