Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Copper Pipe Leak

Al Schmidt wrote:
I have a copper pipe which just developed a leak. This is in the basement of
the house. I have two wells and this is neat the valve which allows me to
switch wells. I have never had a copper pipe leak, except when damaged.
There is a high iron content in the wells, also sulfur is present, and the
ph is close to balanced. What would cause this pipe, actually a tee fitting
to develop a leak? It is in the fitting wall, not the joint. This is large ~
1 inch copper.

Al

Check with some nearby neighbors to determine whether your water
supply is corrosive to copper. The problem is not all that rare in
some parts of the country. People at the county or state level also
should have some knowledge of that possibilty. If your water supply
gets a good grade, then replacing the fitting should end the problem.
If there is eveidence of copper corrosion, the well installer should
have known about it and used approved plastic piping instead. Good
luck.

Joe