Posted to alt.home.repair
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Dimitrios Paskoudniakis is offline

Default Garage Door Opener Problem

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
One of my 3 Sears Crafsman 1/2 hp garage door openers is not working. It
is stuck in the open position, so I closed it by releasing the emergency
handle.

The trolley is firmly wedged against the cover protection bolt instead of
having stopped at a normal 2 - 4 inches short of the bolt. The small
length of chain on one side of the motor just before the cable feels
extremely tight and won't budge, while there is a little play in the chain
on the other side of the motor (the long length of chain). Also the
indicator light next to the button for changing the remote code is
blinking.

When I press the button in the garage to close the door, the motor hums
for a couple of seconds, then stops humming, but the trolley won't move.

The manual isn't clear, and I'm guessing the issue is straightforward, I'm
just don't know what the issue is.

Please advise.

I fixed it by loosening the chain length adjustment bolts until there was
some slack in the chain. The trolley could then moved to the closed door
position when pressing the button on the wall. I then turned the up setting
screw a couple of turns toward "less up", so that the trolley doesn't
approach the guard bolt. Then I returned the chain length adjustment bolts
to their original position. Solved.