Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Instant, I mean instant, hot water

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:38:05 -0400, "Not@home" wrote:

Install a second line between the top of your current supply line and
plumbed to the bottom of your water heater, forming a loop. Put a check
valve in where convenient to limit water flow to one direction. Put
insulation on the original line. The loop will be filled with hot water
so you will have instant hot water in the bathroom. When idle, there
will be slow circulation of water, rising in the insulated line, and
returning, slightly cooler, in the new line.

Exactly. I had this setup when living in a 5th floor walkup in Manhattan.
The high ceilings below made it the equivalent of living on the 6th floor.
So without such an arrangement it would have been a real long time.

I now have a four story house. I use the bathroom on the top floor. Now
that I'm paying for the hot water I only use it when taking a shower, and
then I do have to plan ahead to get it to warm up.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).