Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Copper Pipe Leak

On Oct 14, 12:19 pm, "Al Schmidt" wrote:
I have a copper pipe which just developed a leak. This is in the basement of
the house. I have two wells and this is neat the valve which allows me to
switch wells. I have never had a copper pipe leak, except when damaged.
There is a high iron content in the wells, also sulfur is present, and the
ph is close to balanced. What would cause this pipe, actually a tee fitting
to develop a leak? It is in the fitting wall, not the joint. This is large ~
1 inch copper.

Al

Good details in your post................. IMO an unlucky, bad
fitting.

How old is your installation?

If your water chemistry encourages the deposition of calcium carbonate
that will help protect the copper but it takes a while.

Hydrogen sulfide (cause of rotten egg smell) usually accompanies iron
& is corrosive. I do not know the influence that iron or sulfur alone
will have on your pipe's corrosion rate.

My understanding is that dissolved oxygen is the main culprit.

cheers
Bob