Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] oparr@hotmail.com is offline

Default Pilot flame too intense

It's wasting gas and killing thermocouples. Finally decided to
research this after another thermocouple died today after only two or
three seasons. The boiler's manual shows a pilot flame profile but
unfortunately I'm unable to view the actual flame from the side so
I've adjusted the flame so that the thermocouple shows no signs of
glowing red but is obviously hot enough to maintain pilot gas flow.
Does this make sense? Thermocouple is centered properly and flame is
hitting it in the right place. I could tell based on where started to
glow first when lighting the pilot before it was adjusted.