Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Ceiling Painting Questions

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Have two bathrooms, both of whose ceilings I would like to add a
coat of paint to. Am a true novice with this, so may I please ask
some really basic questions:

Ceiling No. 1 has a textured finish; the typical "swirl" type.

Do I want to use a roller or a brush ?
If a roller, what type of knap, etc. Really don't know what type
to get if this is what you recommend

For the edges, and light fixtures that can't be removed, etc., is
is correct to use a brush for these areas, even though a roller was
used for the rest of the ceiling; will it "blend in" O,K, if I do ?

Ceiling No. 2 is smooth.

Again, is a roller or a brush best ?

BTW: one of them has a small brown water stain. I was thinking of
coating it with Kilz first.

a. Do I have to sand or gouge out the brown part first ?
b. Will a high quality latex go over the Kilz in a single coat
such that the Kilz coating will not be apparent ?

c. Are there special paints for ceilings, or any high quality
interior latex is fine ?

Any hints also would be much appreciated.

1. Forget "texture rollers". Those are for *creating* texture.

2. Forget spraying. By the time you prep the room for that you could
be finished, have drunk a six pack and taken the wife out to dinner
and a movie.

3. All light fixtures can be removed.

You can paint either ceiling with either a roller or brush. If you
use a roller, use a fuzzy, long nap roller for the textured ceiling
(long=3/4"). That same roller could be used for the smooth ceiling
but a short nap (or sponge) roller would be better.

Painting a smooth surface with a roller tends to give an orange peel
effect. personally, I like it.

If you use a roller, you need to use a brush to cut in the edges at
the wall first else you'll bump the wall with the roller. Cut in
about 4-6" wide.

You needn't sand the stain. You probably don't even have to use Kilz
on it but if you do the color coat will probably cover the Kilz in one
coat. Depends on the color. If you think it won't cover the Kilz,
paint that area separately with a light, brushed on coat and let dry
before doing the rest of the ceiling.

Any good paint is fine. Make it acrylic latex, though. Myself, I'd
also make it glossy or at least semi-glossy for bathrooms.

When rolling - especially a textured surface - you need to be sure
everything is covered with paint. When you apply the paint, make a
"W" with each part maybe 18" long then roll back and forth on that
area in all directions...lengthwise, crosswise and both diagaonals.
Don't press the roller hard against the surface...the "W" distributes
a thick layer, the back & forth rolling distributes it and gets you an
even coat. Don't be chintzy with the paint but don't leave gobs
either...smooth and even.

An alternative for the smmoth ceiling is a painting pad...those are a
foam pad covered with short nap mohair. I'd use a roller.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...