Posted to rec.woodworking
woodman woodman is offline

Default Help--Table Saw motor changes speed !

It has the original motor. I don't know what type it is, just that it is
not a separate motor, but instead is integrated into the arbor that turns
the blade (via a very short 6" belt). Today I disassembled the saw, removed
the blade and turned it over (table down) and ran the motor for awhile. At
first it varied speed as before, but after a few minutes it started running
at constant speed. I guess tomorrow I'll turn it back over and see if it
still runs constant or varies again.

Woody

"Jim" wrote in message
t...

"woodman" wrote in message
I have a question about my table saw. It is a 10" Rockwell table saw that
is about 30+ years old. Lately when I run it the motor has been coming up
to speed but then slowing down and speeding up on its own (without a
load). I checked the brushes and they look OK. Any idea what could be
causing this or how to fix it?

Woody

What kind of motor would that be? Your saw is rather young to have been
supplied with a repulsion-induction motoe. If it has a universal motor,
it is rather old to have the original one.

In the case of the repulsion-induction motor, a failing centrifugal switch
would cause this problem. There may be other reasons as well.

If you have a universal motor, I don't know. The no load speed of these
things is usually limited by friction in the bearings. Perhaps the
bearings need replacement. There may be other reasons as well.

I would take it to an electric motor repair place. Those guys see more
bad motors in a week than we do in our entire life.

Jim