Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11 Robert11 is offline

Default Ceiling Painting Questions

Hello:

Have two bathrooms, both of whose ceilings I would like to add a coat of
paint to. Am a true novice with this, so may I please ask some really basic
questions:

Ceiling No. 1 has a textured finish; the typical "swirl" type.

Do I want to use a roller or a brush ?
If a roller, what type of knap, etc. Really don't know what type to get if
this is what you recommend

For the edges, and light fixtures that can't be removed, etc., is is correct
to use a brush for these areas, even though a roller was used for the rest
of the ceiling; will it "blend in" O,K, if I do ?

Ceiling No. 2 is smooth.

Again, is a roller or a brush best ?

BTW: one of them has a small brown water stain. I was thinking of coating
it with Kilz first.

a. Do I have to sand or gouge out the brown part first ?
b. Will a high quality latex go over the Kilz in a single coat such that
the Kilz coating will not be apparent ?

c. Are there special paints for ceilings, or any high quality interior
latex is fine ?

Any hints also would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Bob