Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Popping capacitors Who has post 2006 hardware with bad caps?

"robb" wrote in message

"CheetahHugger" wrote in message

If you can squeeze a 25V cap in its place...

Yes, i can, it's just that i remember huge problems with

capacitors
about 10 years ago and it seems it's still a common failure

making me
think it's a weak component purposely installed to make sure

the
appliance in question will only just outlast the warranty.
To me this is theft from consumers.

Cheetah

i think you need to factor in the product value and penny
counters as well, Cheapo mother boards were big problem once upon
a time. The mother board and other electronic mfgs are ordering
thousands and millions of components and a couple of fractions of
pennies here and there really adds up to big savings or profit
for them. I replaced some buldging caps in my old cheapie MOBO
with nichicon equivalents and the board still runs great.

That said, there was a genuine issue a few years back where one (or more ??)
of the major electrolytic manufacturers had a batch of 'fake' electrolyte
swung across them, which resulted in hundreds of thousands of substandard
caps appearing on the market, and finding their way onto computer
motherboards, and failing after a relatively short period of time.
Obviously, the mo-bo manufacturers thought that they were buying full spec
caps, and the cap manufacturers thought that's what they were selling, so
not a penny-pinching situation in that case.

Arfa