Posted to uk.d-i-y
David in Normandy David in Normandy is offline

Default Your worst bodge.

In article .com,
avocado says...
When I was about 16 I was artexing a ceiling and ran out of mix. I
found a bag of flour in the cupboard and used that for the last little
bit! Still looked OK 15 years later!

Come on the, whats your worst?

Not my own, but someone else's I found...

Number 1)
I removed the cover of an electric shower only to discover the
electrician who had installed it had wired live and neutral the wrong
way round according to the markings. Being pedantic I swapped them the
correct way round and tried the shower. BANG! 30 amp fuse blown. Further
investigation revealed that there was a fault within the heater unit of
the shower and there was a live to earth short. So the electrician had
swapped over the connections so there was a neutral to earth short
instead. This of course meant the shower worked and the fuse didn't
blow. However, there was a distinct chance of getting electrocuted!!!

Number 2)
Going back to the days of the changeover in the UK from the old
unearthed round two pin plugs to the earthed three pin plugs we have
today... Someone had bought a new electric iron with wires for live,
neutral and earth and put on an old round two pin plug. However, they
had just left the earth wire floating around lose in the plug - and it
was really lose. They hadn't even trimmed off the bare end of the earth
wire. This meant that if the lose earth wire had touched the live pin,
then the iron would have become live. No fuse would have blown. Simply
touching any metal on the iron would have resulted in electric shock or
death.

--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating