Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Default UK RICS report says solar takes 208 years to repay...nonsense! Help needed!

Mike has somehow managed to knacker OE so it doesn't put the quotes
properly, so I've re-inserted them to avoid confusion....

On 14 Oct, 12:12, "Mike" wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote in message

I would need to alter the loft to take the weight of the solar panels too,

I've never come across this - unless your loft is of extremely poor or
degraded construction. OR you may have been looking at a combination
of "old-tech" flat panels AND a weak roof.

so that is added
cost from a builder and it would need to be inspected.

You also need planning permission.

IF you live in a listed building AND and conservation area OR the
panels need to be bracketed (standing out from the roof) because there
is no convenient south/southwest/southeast facing roof then you MAY
need to check for planning permission. About 1 in 10 installations
needs to check for planning.

A new tank would be required in the bathroom for the
hot water as a further heating coil is required. To get one with two coils
inside is more expensive. So add the cost of that and fitting. I would say
a TOTAL of £5000 is very realistic when everything is added to make a
working system.

For a fully fitted, insured and guaranteed twin panel vacuum tube
system including all parts, labour, insurance, new tank etc, that is
about at the upper limit, yes.

Considering the weather in the UK and where I live, I doubt the system would
provide even warm water apart from during 4 months of the year. Probably
when I don't need it. So it wouldn't be used for most of the year anyway.
I might aswell save the £3000 and put it towards bills.

I bet you got your figures from the....uh-oh!

I asked about this at the Alternative Technology Centre in Wales. They have
a number of systems on display is actual houses. They don't get anywhere
near those savings, even with 2ft of insulation on the walls.

The big problem with the CAT is that it is ALTERNATIVE not MODERN
technology. The last time I looked, they were using inefficient flat
panels from the 70's.
Fortunately, from their website: "Our solar heating display is
currently being renewed". So I can only hope that something a bit more
realistic is being put it.

If as I think, and the Technology Centre seemed to suggest, around £30 per
year per panel - if hot water ws normally required - is more sensible, that
would take around 100 years.

See above. Tech from the 70's!

I would fit a solar heating system if it was a reasonable price and it
worked all year - and offered immediate noticeable savings. Sort that out
first!

If you can make any sort of shadow, you can warm water. On a semi-
overcast winter's day, you can get about 30 degrees of water, meaning
30 degrees less that the boiler has to heat.

Some data on vacuum tube reflector technology
http://www.schott.com/solarthermal/e...parameter.html
http://www.rayotec.com/solar_heating/technical.html