Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr.Tony to you Mr.Tony to you is offline

Default Can I use a vintage rotary pulse dial phone with tone dialing in the house as well?

That depend what type of service you have

wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 04:40:27 -0000, JLF wrote:

On Oct 8, 9:10 pm, Robert Barr wrote:
So can one jack be set up the old fashioned way with the phone company

Most of my phones are touch-tone (even that term is dated) but I still
have a rotary dial phone. I don't use it often enough to bother
replacing it, and I rarely dial out on that phone. It takes nothing
special, account-wise.

The jacks are super-easy to install. Your local borg or Radio Shack
will have everything you need.

Oh, so it would require installing a special jack? Do you mean the
kind of jack that's the modern cord fits into -- with the plastic
thingee that you press to get into the jack? This phone I'm thinking
of is already adapted for a modern jack.

I was more worried about the pulse vs. touch tone sound issue... have
I confused you? I'm getting confused...

Thanks.

Those old phones were usually hard wired into a wall module. Some
people would add a large 4 pin plug.

Now you can buy a large block thing that plugs into any modern jack.
As you said " with the plastic thingee that you press to get into the
jack" You just connect the wires into that plug, replace the cover
and plug into a modern jack. \

You CAN use a rotaty phone on any modern phone jack as long as they
still support "click dialing". Or some rotary phones do use tone.

My mother still has a rotary phone. It's the same phone she had when
I was a child (50 years ago). She also has several modern phones, and
has replaced every one of them at least once.