Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default UK RICS report says solar takes 208 years to repay...nonsense! Helpneeded!

Jonathan wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

For example, in "It isn't easy being green", the couple with the new eco-build
have spent GBP45,000 on a windmill which will supposedly supply all their
electricity. I imagine they use a similar amount of electricity to us, and our
power bill is GBP800 per annum. It's going to take 56 years to repay the cost of
the windmill, and it will wear out long before that; ergo it isn't worth doing.

(Oh, and there was a couple I saw on the Beeb web site recently who said that
their windmills generated a fraction of their rated output, and had been a waste
of money - they wish they'd bought more photovolatic instead.)

But that's just nuts - home wind energy simply doesn't work, and
there's evidence that the little "rooftop" ones not only don't do
anything, but can vibrate brickwork loose. No-one with anything up top
would spend £45,000 on a home wind turbine!

I rather imagine they got a 'real' one. £45,000 will buy a decent turbine. I agree entirely about the joke
turbines for roof fitting.

This one is £35,000 installed.
http://www.energyenv.co.uk/WindPowerKits_20Kw.asp

Graham