Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default How to make plunge cut in MDF sheet?

On 2007-10-14 10:34:11 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

TheOldFellow wrote:

If you ARE going to buy a new tool, my advice is to buy a SMALL
circular saw. Although a large one has more oomph and can make bigger
cuts, accuracy with a circular saw is enhanced by lightness (unless
you are a weightlifter) - especially if you are reaching over a big
board. I have three saws, but only ever use the smallest one (It's a
American Porter-Cable used with a 110Volt transformer).

Oh good, its not just me who has that opinion then!

I searched high & low for a new 165mm circ saw - everyone wanted to sell me
a 190mm +. Settled on the Makita 5604. Still has a 54mm depth of cut which
is enough for me.

It is a shame. there are several makes of small saw in the U.S.,
although the PC one is the popular one.

There are also circular saws with worm drives for more torque, I
suppose. When you build houses all with wood, you need that.

Completely agree, much better accuracy (and I was a weightlifter) :-)

So why aren't you using your table saw up trees?