Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Air hammer chisel guidance

According to Larry Jaques :
On 13 Oct 2007 22:52:13 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
(DoN. Nichols) quickly quoth:

[ ... ]

That sounds good enough. How often is the female on the hose
replaced? That is the part which I would expect to suffer more from the
vibration.

I've never seen one replaced from that, per se. Most stop sealing (the
o-ring goes out) or they wear out from years of daily use. I won't be
buying any more HF QD fittings. They're just too cheaply made and the
female's doohickey gets cocked sideways in them far too often, letting
the air escape after the male fitting has been removed. It's a PITA.

O.K. But could the female's doohickey getting cocked have
anything to do with the vibration from the air hammer?

[ ... ]

from a hamfest along with a nice screwdriver one is something called a
"Screw-Stick". It has a hex drive at the bottom and a tube to just

[ ... ]

Sounds handy for production work.

Indeed so. And if I have a lot of something to make, I'll be
sure to design it to be held by the 4-40 threads that these use -- *if*
I can get more sticks of screws. :-)

Wuss! I take bandaids for shooting my KelTec 9mm. It eats my thumb
knuckle for lunch every time if I don't have one on there.

Hmm ... that sounds like a bit of poor design there. The .41
Magnum did not used to bother me, but with 66 years on these old joints,
things are a bit more sensitive now. :-) Sort of encourages me to load
up light loads. :-)

I think the curve is too tight at the back of the frame where it goes
from the grip to the base of the slide. Or maybe my thumb knuckles are
larger from auto work for all those years. Who knows? A bandaid saves
the blister from forming, though. Cheap fix.

As long as it works -- that is what matters.

And don't worry, Don. You'll find dozens of other uses for the air
chisel once you get using it for a while. There are plenty of
different planishing hammer heads for them if you're into that.

I'm sure that I will. I keep picking up new tools (or used
ones) as opportunity presents itself -- and then worry about why I need
them. :-)

I picked up the compressor (an ancient Craftsman from back
before the noisy oilless ones with the magic horsepower numbers) a few
years ago at a yard sale. Two wheels, 20 gallon tank (IIRC). I had to
take the regulator apart and clean it before that would work, but
overall I'm quite pleased with it. I've been picking up various air
tools since, and finally spotted the air hammer with the chisel set
while picking up a wrench to dedicate to the new drill press vise (after
making M10 T-nuts to fit the slots through the drill press table.

A friend had already gotten one of the newer ones before I could
warn him, and I am still amazed at how much noise it makes. It is even
worse when his Newfie chews through the hose. :-)

I also finally got a ceiling-mounted reel for the air hose so O
won't keep tripping over the rubber hose (and getting metal chips in my
hands when picking it up near the lathe or mill.)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |