Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default variac question?

The slider is the output and is never connected to the mains.

You have a transformer. The primary is across the mains.
The secondary has a common line to the 'return white' main power line and the
primary.
The slider wire and a white from the return and common side is the load
connection - put a light bulb there or whatnot.

Not this way:
If power is applied - the black or white from the power panel to the
wiper it will burn out windings (or blow circuits.) if the wiper is
turned towards zero - as the wiper moves the hot to the neutral and
begins a copper short - forget the transformer. Bad way bud.

I've used them for years at least 40 and have a half dozen in the shop.
Had two on my train track. Have a large one in a power panel.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Grant Erwin wrote:
wrote:

Grant - is the output of the variac connected to anything when its
turned on
or is the output open?

Hul

I'll summarize: the variac (with no load) set to 30% output popped the
20A breaker (Square D QO) in the wall panel. When set to 100%, it didn't
pop the breaker, and once magnetized, I could vary the dial all the way
to zero normally. The variac is in use and appears to control voltage as
expected. Many people have told me that the wall voltage must be wired
to the slider, but it can't be and isn't. My conclusion is that for
whatever random reason this variac has a greater magnetizing current
with the slider in a low position than high. Admittedly, I didn't test
this properly. To test it properly I'd use several circuits, and do a
hundred or so tests repeated widely in time to ensure that the breakers
weren't stressed from being recently popped.

Grant