Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Perkin Richard Perkin is offline

Default How to make plunge cut in MDF sheet?

I have a requirement to cut a rectangle from a larger piece of 18mm
MDF sheet. The dimensions of the 'hole' are approx 800mm x 400mm

I need the cut edges to be true, ie with no 'wavy cuts'. I would also
like to reuse the 'cut out' material to form a sort of 'door'.

Before doing it in anger, I have experimented using both a jigsaw
(with the expected result of a 'wavy cut') and the Bosch 'MultiMaster
clone' tool (with slightly better, if fairly slow, results). Neither
of these is satisfactory.

Any suggestions for cutting an accurate rectangle, please?

I don't really want to fork out many £££ x 100 for new power tools,
but am willing to consider it if it's something I will use again. I
do have a handheld circular saw, but no table saw - and while I've
looked at saws with a slide I haven't seen any that slide to the
dimensions I'm looking for - but I could easily have overlooked
something obvious.

I've thought of plunging a cut with the Bosch tool, then completing
the job with a hand saw - but I'm sure there must be a way with the
'right' power tool...

Many thanks in advance

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.