Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default constructive critic on my plcc adapter PCB - LCNORM.zip

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:40:31 -0700, John Larkin wrote:
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 16:27:43 GMT, JosephKK
John Larkin posted to
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:21:02 GMT, Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:23:27 -0400, robb wrote:
"John Larkin" wrote
On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 10:09:49 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
"Joel Kolstad" wrote in
message
XEQ P (the parallel resistance program :-) )

^^^ BTW, while everyone knows that the parallel impedance
formula is 1/Result
= 1/Z1 + 1/Z2, for those of us who can get geeky with respect
to calculators
and numerical methods, using Result = (Z1*Z2)/(Z1+Z2) is more
accurate when Z1
is significantly larger or smaller than Z2... hence some of
the motivation to
write a program to do it each time.

When I have anything worth programming, I do it in PowerBasic.
It's
portable and archivable, and I can use double floats if needed.
PB
even has 80-bit floats!

if you need 80 bit floats ....
I am surprised you guys are not using some functional programming
language like scheme (lisp/Lambda calc variants) where your reals are
number abstractions with no language or data type imposed limit on
the number size or precision and of course no numerical methods
issues/errors from typical float/double data type limitations
just wondering,

Loosely-typed or untyped data is a mare's nest of bugs just waiting to
happen.

There are no types in assembly. We don't need no stinkin' types!

Assembler on what machine? Most devices have various operand sizes that
it operates on. Or are you talking 8051? It has a default operand size
as well.

68332, mostly. One numeric format I like is 32.32, which is signed, 32
bits of integer plus 32 bits of fraction. Once you have that in a register
pair, you can just *use* any part of it you want, like the low 16 bits of
the integer part, or the high 16 bits as int/65536, or just take the
fractional part when you know it's safe.

The point about assembler being untyped is that you can do any operation
on any memory address as long as it makes you happy.

I wouldn't program an 8051 if you paid me 50 dollars per bit.

I certainly would! Hell, I'd do it for 50 bucks an hour! I wouldn't
necessarily _like_ it (I'd much rather Motorola), but it does get
the job done, one you figure out how to use the timer. :-)

Cheers!
Rich