Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Help with Electrical Wiring ,please

Looks like your ground path is not in good shape. How about pulling a
grounding conductor through the conduit and attaching it to the ground buss
in the panel and the box at the outlet. There should be plenty of room after
replacing rubber covered conductors with THHN

"travelingart" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am re-wiring some of the boxes in a 30's vintage cottage. The old
rubber
wiring is crumbling in the steel boxes. Currently the house has the
original
ridgid conduit and some romex from a previous owner.

After installing a new recepticle and grounding the recepticle to the
steel box
which is connected to conduit to the panel, I am only getting 83 volts
across
the ground and the hot.

A plug in detector indicates the recepticle is installed properly.
Voltage
between the hot and neutral is 123 volts.

What are the suspected problems and how can I identify where that
problem(s) is?

Thanks so much for yuor help,much obliged