Posted to alt.home.repair
travelingart travelingart is offline

Default Help with Electrical Wiring ,please

I am re-wiring some of the boxes in a 30's vintage cottage. The old
rubber
wiring is crumbling in the steel boxes. Currently the house has the
original
ridgid conduit and some romex from a previous owner.

After installing a new recepticle and grounding the recepticle to the
steel box
which is connected to conduit to the panel, I am only getting 83 volts
across
the ground and the hot.

A plug in detector indicates the recepticle is installed properly.
Voltage
between the hot and neutral is 123 volts.

What are the suspected problems and how can I identify where that
problem(s) is?

Thanks so much for yuor help,much obliged