Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Air hammer chisel guidance

According to Larry Jaques :
On 13 Oct 2007 04:00:13 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
(DoN. Nichols) quickly quoth:

According to B.B. u:

[ ... ]

My only sheetmetal chisel is a bent-tip chisel with a notch displaced
in the center of the blade. Hook the notch under the sheet and hammer
away--it'll lift a strip of metal out.

That sounds quite useful -- and I don't have one of those, so
I'll have to watch for one.

I prefer this linked type, as did the bodymen I worked with. They last
longer than the split-tip type.
http://tinyurl.com/2y7bza They can
cut deeper, too, which isn't always good. I used one to cut out the
access hole in my truck bed so the HF crane could mount to the frame.

O.K. This one gives a large enough image to see what it really
looks like. And I certainly don't have one of those with the set.

Then I have a straight punch,
hammer head, and assortment of long chisels that have been ground into
various shapes. The handiest is a semicircle notch that isn't sharp.
It's meant to grab on and let me push. I use it frequently to push
wrenches around on really tight bolts.

Nice trick! Your idea, or did you see others doing it first?

A rubber mallet is much easier on the wrenches, I'd think.

Yes -- but there may be times when it is worth letting an old
wrench take the damage just so you can get the bolt out.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564