Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Moving machines

Ignoramus27804 wrote:

On 2007-10-13, Bill Schwab wrote:

Pete, Iggie,

Nope, 1,000# is pretty manageable. When it gets over 2,000# then you
start to tax "normal" home shop rigging supplies.

Yep, I consider 1,000 lbs to be a more or less a DIY job

That's just the kind of thing I am hoping to learn. Some questions a

What are the best options for DIYing a 1000 lb lathe into and out of a
pickup?

Shipping terminal is best for getting it into pickup.

Getting out would be done with a "shop crane", especially if you try
to take off all removable parts.

I would not try to unload a 2,000 lbs anything. I paid someone to
deliver my Bridgeport and I am very happy with that decision.

How sharp is the 2000 lb cutoff? Would you rig a mill at that weight,
or seek help?

I would seek help.

A chain hoist properly fastened to the garage ceiling would make
unloading easy. A couple of tempory vertical columns on each side of
the ceiling attach point would hold 1000 lbs.

John