Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default ptoperty lines

If you have a 1:1 exact copy of the survey, then that will work. Is
there a "scale" right on the paper? If so, does it indicate the 40' and is
it exactly 1 inch? If so, you're OK.
IF there is no scale, just a statement that 1" = 40', then it may not be
accurate. In fact, it probably isn't.
The other problem is the reference point you're using. Can you tell
whether it was measured from the outside of the pole, or from the center of
the pole?

Here, if we have such a question, we can go to the assessor's office in town
and get a look at the actual survey representation. You could try that if
it's that important.
You could also call whoever made that survey. If they're in a good mood,
they might just look at it for you and give you the number you want. Worst
case they might want a couple dollars to give you specific information that
you spec to them. Certainly cheaper than another full survey.

And finally, it's not unusual to have errors in surveys for a lot of reasons
but in general based on the "starting point" of each survey and what that
point is referenced to. So, is it a case of you and your neighbor
interpreting the surveys differently, or do they match up otherwise? A
survey to find a property line with a known accuracy of, say, +,- 1", may be
very costly compared to a standard survey.

So, you could both be right if you each have different surveys. If it's
just interpreting them, then it's a lot easier to settle. That's one of
several reasons that "setbacks" exist.

HTH

Pop`

cj wrote:
greetings, i am at odds with my neighbor over the exact placement of
our shared property line. i have a copy of a survey that was done
about 5 years ago that shows our lots and on my lot there is a
telephone pole that i am using as a reference point. on the survey
the scale is one inch = forty feet. given that, could one say a half
inch equals 20 feet, a quarter inch equals 10 feet and an eighth of
an inch equals 5 feet. using the pole as a reference, i measured
about a heavy sixteenth from the pole to the lot line on the survey
map. seems to me that my property extends at least 2 feet past the
pole. before i spend about $700 for a surveyor is this a somewhat
accurate way of measuring?. thanks, cj