Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default ptoperty lines

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, i am at odds with my neighbor over the exact placement of our
shared property line. i have a copy of a survey that was done about 5
years ago that shows our lots and on my lot there is a telephone pole that
i am using as a reference point. on the survey the scale is one inch =
forty feet. given that, could one say a half inch equals 20 feet, a
quarter inch equals 10 feet and an eighth of an inch equals 5 feet. using
the pole as a reference, i measured about a heavy sixteenth from the pole
to the lot line on the survey map. seems to me that my property extends at
least 2 feet past the pole. before i spend about $700 for a surveyor is
this a somewhat accurate way of measuring?.
thanks, cj

The drawings are only close. To find the exact property lines you go by the
reference points and shoot a line (pull a string is simple) between the
points. The reference points are known things on or near the property and
then a distance and direction is given from those points on the deed or map.

If a survey was done 5 years ago there should be stakes of flags still there
at the corners of the property.