Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag Snag is offline

Default Mill choreography

Tony wrote:

"Jerry Foster" wrote in message
. net...

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
I did 18 mill operations in less than 2 hours including set-up time.
This
by changing the way I do my drawings and visualizing all the
operations with the thoughts of reducing set-ups, minimizing tool
changes, laying out the tools and parts and figuring the correct
order of events. With my old BP and methods I guess this would
have taken close to two days! And, every operation was within two
thousandths. Think/cut! So, after all that outrageous productivity, I
took a little nap at
my desk!

I've long been of the opinion that a machinist should have the right
to hand
drawing back to the designer and say, "there's the mill; go make
it..." A little cleverness in the design can save a world of time (and
cost) in the
making...

Jerry

Fixed that confusing top-post for ya ...
Thats where the Methods Engineer comes in. He/she bridges the gap
between the designer and the machinist.

Bull**** , that's just another layer of insulation between the guy who
designs and the guy who does . Every designer needs some time in the real
world of doing , IMNSHO . (I build commercial millwork , you wouldn't
believe some of the idiocies architects can dream up !)
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"