Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Mill choreography

I give my Engineering Machine Design students a short stint on the lathe
and the mill. Sure calms down the exotic nature of the designs!!!

And when they cay that the project MUST have something done on the CNC,
I say 'sure, but it's your responsibility to schedule the 12 to 20 hours
of open shop time to get up to speed on the Haas' About 1 in 10 bites
the bullet and I wind up with a budding machinist.

Tom Gardner wrote:
I did 18 mill operations in less than 2 hours including set-up time. This
by changing the way I do my drawings and visualizing all the operations with
the thoughts of reducing set-ups, minimizing tool changes, laying out the
tools and parts and figuring the correct order of events. With my old BP
and methods I guess this would have taken close to two days! And, every
operation was within two thousandths. Think/cut!

So, after all that outrageous productivity, I took a little nap at my desk!