Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mouse[_2_] Mouse[_2_] is offline

Default Dremel tools

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 06:58:18 -0500, Snag wrote:

LLBrown wrote:
I have had really bad luck with dremel tools
as the variable speed control always dies within a few weeks of my
having it. Maybe they just aren't made for metal working.

...odd, I have been using my dremel for metal work for 20 years and
never had problems with the speed control. I have broken the little
plastic connecter between the moter and the bit section twice now. At one
time Dremel and Craftsman were the same thing. Is that
different now?
LLB

I don't know about the new ones , but my Craftsman is a rebranded Dremel .
It's at least 15 years old , and been used for everything from a Pinewood
Derby carver to a toolpost grinder . Last use was to do the finish grind on
a larger diameter live center for my lathe ...

I use a Foredom, but also have a few Dremels and a Proxxon. The single
speed Dremel plugged into a solid state speed controller is good, but
rather noisy. The Proxxon has more torque and is very quiet, nearly
vibration-free and sturdy.