Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default recessed spotlight wiring.

Lobster wrote:

Oh dear what have I said, or is it a CFL fan club in here.

Na, we are pretty equally divided on them ;-)

Not sure about that, ISTR every time downlighters are mentioned here
there seems to be a resounding chorus of disapproval!

He mentioned CFLs not downlights! Downlights are ok when used
sensibly... Thinking about it the OP may want to look he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...logen_Lighting

since there is a fair bit of information on types and uses.

We have quite a few at home, fitted by yours truly at SWMBO's behest.
Personally I don't particularly like them, mainly because of the power
consumption issue

LV downlighters get better efficiency lumens per watt than line
voltage incan lamps.

If you say so; but the practicality is that they only illuminate a
downward pool of light rather than the whole room, which is why my small
bathroom needs 4 of the buggers totalling 140W, whereas a 20W CFL would
light the room more effectively, at one-seventh of the power usage.

Again you seem to be not comparing like with like. The point was that a
35W LV Halogen will give more light than a 35W 240V halogen.

If you want general lighting just with halogens then you need to play
your layouts carefully. Wall washers can help maximise light dispersion,
as can use of the widest beam lamps (not all vendors sell a variety of
beam widths)

--
Cheers,

John.