Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Toolboxes - are there *any* good ones out there?

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 12 Oct 2007 16:15:24 GMT, wrote:

As workshop engineering tool drawers I'm using the usual bright red
steel 6 or 7 drawer chests. Most of these are "Stack On" as a reasonable
compromise of price vs. quality. They're all pretty much the same
except for the quality of the ball-bearing telescopic slides. If they
aren't ball-bearing as a minimum, don't buy them.

My solution for this is a DIY one, I built a heavyweight trolley with
castors and have put an office multi-drawer unit in it plus some
shelves designed to be easy to slot socket sets and such onto.

I've no use for plastic toolboxes at all. What's the point?

Nothing wrong with plastic at all if they're well engineered. For
example there's a very nice range of boxes from Powell Plastics
(
www.powellplastics.co.uk), and their 'hobby case' :-

http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/prod...roductID=11464

is excellent and incredibly cheap (£3.99). I have had one for many
many years that I use as my 'electronics' tool box.

As for
spending 20 quid or so on some crap from B&Q or by Stanley, you're
having a laugh.

--
Chris Green