Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Toolboxes - are there *any* good ones out there?

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
used his keyboard to write :
Over the past few months I have been trying to buy a couple of
practical toolboxes for two or three different purposes. I have a big
workshop/garage where many tools (especially car tools for example)
live permanently but there are obvious needs for toting tools around
sometimes and a basic set ready in a box are useful for emergencies
and quick jobs. So, what I'm looking for is one or more toolboxes to
cover the following uses:-

I have a several of those cheap (about £1 each) plastic trays - handle
in the middle and a deep compartment either side. I just pop into them
what tools I might need for the particular job. One stays permanently
set up with a few of the basics.

Yes, I'm beginning to realise that this may be a reasonable approach,
have one basics toolbox and then assemble what you need for a
particular job in a 'tote' box as and when needed.

In the garage I have one of those large mechanics rolling steel tool
chests with lots of narrow height drawers - perfect for the car and
bike repairs.

Yes, I've built my own version of this, a 'heavyweight tea-trolley'
with a multi-drawer stationery cabinet and shelves in it.

I also have a cheap plastic tool chest on two wheels,
which is a vertical version of the one you mentioned - for the more
serious DIY type jobs - shallow tray on top, deep box under that, then
two component drawers and an even bigger opening section below that. It
even had a built in power extension lead when I bought it.

I can't really see this being of much use for me as it's too big to
tote around the house and not suitable for wheeling aound the
'garden', for that I currently load things into a small trailer and
pull it behind a mower or tractor.

Most of my tools still tend to need picking out from wherever I store
them in my garage and workshop for the needs of the job - which is
where the cheap plastic trays come in.

Yes, I think this may be the approach I need to develop, that just
raises the issue of where the tools live when they're in the garage.

Thanks for the input.

--
Chris Green