Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default wiring 8 separate fluorescent lamps, each with a switch, does each need its own ballast?

Forgot to add, if you need to switch each of the 8 tubes independently, you
must use 8 ballasts, and the cost and complexity would increase. Each of the
8 ballasts would again have its' primary (110 volt) input switched with a
single pole switch.

Smarty

"Smarty" wrote in message
Yes Duffy,

I've had excellent results with this company and their ballasts, and have
installed 24 of them so far. The ballast below handles 4 tubes of the T8
style, and you could use two of these to handle your project for about
$30. The wiring is quite simple, and the spec sheet is available on the
web site. You switch power to the primary side of the ballasts with a
simple single pole switch, thus turning all 8 tubes on or off.

http://www.ballastwise.com/item.asp?...FID=13&level=1

Good luck,

Smarty

"Yes Duffy MCP/M.Arch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, I am doing an art installation, and I am going to wire eight 4'
T8 fluorescent fixtures(with bulbs) to a power source. Each bulb will
need its own switch.

Do I get a large ballast that can handle all eight, and then wire the
switches after the ballast??

OR

Do I have to use a separate ballast for EACH bulb, and put the switch
before the ballast?

Thanks SO much for your help!

-My name is Yes Duffy