Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Quick change system for blast cabinet media?

I have a small home-built blast cabinet that works well and that I'm
generally satisfied with. My biggest dissatisfaction is changing the
medium*. It's a PITA job getting the current medium out of all the
corners and edges, to avoid it getting mixed with its replacement. I'd
like to retrofit something to make it easier & faster. Especially to
make it faster.

Does anybody have a "system" for this?

An idea that I'm toying with is a liner that could just be lifted out
with all the medium inside. Just using a trash bag would be great, but
it needs to conform to the cabinet better than a bag would
(specifically, in the sump, so as to let the medium drop in). 6 mil
polyethylene sheet would be my first choice. This site uses a soldering
iron to make seams in it:
http://www.geocities.com/reystos/inflatable/
My hesitation would be over such a seam's strength. Anybody ever done it?

Also, the cabinet has a dust collector which keeps the cabinet at
negative air pressure. Meaning that any leak behind the liner would
tend to collapse it into the cabinet.

And, any holes in the liner would be a nuisance.

Maybe the liner isn't such a great idea.

Maybe I should just vacuum the medium out & collect it from the vac.

Ideas?
Bob

* - "media", "medium". The industry uses "media" whether they're
talking single or multiple. I was buying some locally and we were
talking about the different ones. I referred to a particular one, as in
"... this medium ..." and he corrected me: "it's 'media'". He's in
the media business, but he didn't know that the word is plural and that
there is a singular version. I let it go.