Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Question About Bearings...

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:26:59 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Advances have been made in the use of ceramics in heat engines but I view
them the same way I view solar-Stirling engines and photovoltaic cells: a
bundle of promise, always just over the horizon, that never quite delivers
the big results promised for them. The "promise" of ceramic cylinders and
pistons is to drive the whole thermal cycle 'way up the Carnot Cycle curve,
potentially to double engine efficiency.

Not quite what you are referring to, but Nikasil linings are fairly run of the
mill in light weight engines.

Mark Rand
RTFM