Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Dremel tools

Anyone have any recommendations for a dremel tool or a non-Dremel
brand dremel like tool? I have had really bad luck with dremel tools
as the variable speed control always dies within a few weeks of my
having it. Maybe they just aren't made for metal working.

Non-Chinese preferred but that's most likely impossible. Last time I
was at Sears I noticed that ALL Craftsman power tools were Chinese.

I actually really like my Dremel, but it's a fixed speed and I use a foot
pedal with it. Beats the pants off the variable speed on the tool
approach. They used to sell a good ball bearing fixed speed unit, but
for a while they only had bronze bearing cheapo single speeds. I don't
know if these are available anymore or not.

If mine dies (it's about 20 years old now), I've been thinking about
getting the ball bearing variable speed model & bypassing the
speed control. You can't use the variable speed models with the foot
pedal control, the two end up arguing. I've been following the thread on
bypassing the internal speed control to see how easy that might be, but
the thread rapidly veered off topic.

A Foredom is good for a lot of stuff, but I have a drill press & a router
base for my Dremel that work very nicely & that I don't want to part
with.

Doug White