Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default recessed spotlight wiring.

wrote:

I'm planning on replacing the kitchen strip-light with either 4 or 6
recessed halogen spotlights.

How do take the single cable which currently feeds the strip-light and
branch it out to 6 spotlights?

Do I use a junction box?

Well that depends... I would strongly suggest using low voltage halogens
rather than mains since they are preferable for many reasons.

After that the choice of wiring comes down to how many transformers you
plan to have and where you will place them. In some respects the
simplest is one small transformer per light. That way you can wire each
position with switched mains, (star or daisychain or combination using
junction boxes etc), and poke the transformer into the hole you make for
the light.

If you are running from a central transformer then you need to watch the
current load on the wire - since even a small voltage drop on 12V lamps
will be far more visible than with mains. A workable layout would be
perhaps a star wiring layout from the transformer with two lights per wire.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |