Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Gerald Newton[_2_] Gerald Newton[_2_] is offline

Default AFCI Recall Notice - look for the blue test button on SQ D AFCI's

On Oct 12, 10:29 am, Gerald Newton
wrote:
On Oct 12, 8:27 am, bud-- wrote:

Gerald Newton wrote:
On Oct 11, 11:03 am, Gerald Newton
wrote:

The more I research the AFCI circuit breakers the more evident it
becomes that more R&R should have been done.

Apparently, these devices are being forced into homes by new rules in
the 2008 NEC while they have not been fully evaluated.
The future decisions now require that either the manufacturers develop
only those products that have waveforms in the set of waveforms
accepted by AFCI's or the AFCI's be reprogrammed to any new waveform
signatures that new products may have

I am seriously thinking about writing a letter to the State of Alaska
suggesting to not adopt the 2008 NEC without and exception to
210.12(B).

In addition to the expansion of locations where AFCIs are required in
the 2008 NEC, the 2005 NEC requires "Combination AFCIs" to be used after
1-1-08. AFCIs are now required detect arcs at a 75A level and will
detect parallel arcs. The new "Combination AFCIs" are required to
detect arcs at a 5A level and will detect series arcs. As far as I know
there are no "Combination AFCIs" on the market now only 2.5 months
before they are required to be used. So a far more sensitive AFCI will
be required in many more locations without field experience. If you
think it is bad now....

IMHO, the expansion of AFCIs to many more locations in the 2008 NEC
should have been based on the track record of the AFICs previously
installed for bedrooms. It wasn't.

--
bud--- Hide quoted text -

There seems to be some confusion with the term "combination-type
AFCI." At the 2007 IAEI NW section meeting a combination-type afci
was defined as one that provides series and parallel protection, the
type that you referred to in your post. However, some people think
they are afci's that provide AFCI protection and GFCI protection. But
the article in the IAEI News article on aci from the July-August 2003
issue puts a new twist on this. In this article written by George
Gregory and Alan Manche both of Square D (ref:http://www.iaei.org/subscriber/magaz...3d_gregory.htm
)state, "The name "combination" here means that it combines protection
of fixed wiring with protection of cords."
The 2008 NEC Section 210.12(B) does not define combination-type afcis,
but requires that listed combination-type be installed.
Perhaps a definition should be added to Article 100.

Your statement that combination-type AFCI's are not on the market yet
is interesting. You mean to tell me that Code Making Panel 2 let a
combination-type AFCI requirement be added to the NEC when there are
no combination-type AFCI's on the market yet? Houston, we have a
problem here!

The series of articles in the IAEI news provides convincing evidence
that AFCI's do provide substantial protection and have detected many
problems in existing old wiring. A program to test dwelling units'
old wiring with a type of AFCI tester is warranted. However, I doubt
that consumers are willing to pay for the test and had rather take
their chances.
ref:http://www.iaei.org/subscriber/magaz...ndanfoley.htm- Hide quoted text -

There appears to be an overwhelming amount of support for AFCI's at
the National Association Fire Marshal's web site and videos too.
Also, the Siemen's site has numerous references supporting the
installation of AFCI's.
It is obvious that Code Making Panel 2 was overwhelmed by the support
and had little choice about adding requirements to install AFCI
protect circuits in all living areas in dwelling units.
The tripping problems appear worthwhile for the degree of safety that
is achieved.
ref:
http://www.firemarshals.org/mission/...electrical.asp
http://www2.sea.siemens.com/Products...l_Overview.htm