Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
B.B. B.B. is offline

Default Air hammer chisel guidance

In article ,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

[...]

For that matter -- do I need a cushioning glove to avoid damage
to my hand and wrist?

Leather gloves and ear plugs are what I use. I used to use the ear
plugs only if the sound was bothering me, but discovered that some days
I'd still wind up deaf even though it didn't seem loud. Same with the
gloves--used to only wear them if my hands were hurting, but they always
eventually hurt.
Leather gloves don't have a lot of padding, but it seems to have been
enough. Without them I get that odd kind of bruising in my palms that
just leaves them tender for a day or so.
My only sheetmetal chisel is a bent-tip chisel with a notch displaced
in the center of the blade. Hook the notch under the sheet and hammer
away--it'll lift a strip of metal out. Then I have a straight punch,
hammer head, and assortment of long chisels that have been ground into
various shapes. The handiest is a semicircle notch that isn't sharp.
It's meant to grab on and let me push. I use it frequently to push
wrenches around on really tight bolts. Also nice is a hammerhead piece
I welded a bit of pipe to, making a cup, so I can use the air hammer to
drive a regular punch or chisel. And a straight punch I threaded and
put a hunk of brass onto.
Yeah, lots of passive voice, starting with conjunctions and ending
with prepositions.