Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Feel like an idiot buying Timber at timber yards

On 2007-10-11 19:21:03 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-10-11 13:06:18 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-10-11 12:40:58 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

Si wrote:
In message , Andy Hall
writes
If you are going to use oak, then Danish oil is a good
finish. It doesn't come up too much above matt and is easily
refinishable without stripping. Easy to apply as well.

fumes are strong though so needs lots of ventilation while drying

I thought the Danes were a green lot

Yer kidding. They have (or used to have) power stations burning
oily fish industrially. The windmills are just a front.

Besides... what's the use of so called green products if they don't
work?

Oil finishes is probably the one area where solvents don't do much.
The oil on its own is a good consistency and doesn't really need
thinning for most applications.

Possibly. I just don't like most water based products for wood
finishing.

Nor do I. Usually dull and cloudy compared to the solvent equivalent,
and you can forget sharp colours

Sort of like CFL bulbs really.

All of which goes to prove that the environmental lobby is all about
clouded vision and muddled thinking.

That is almost the definition of any lobby