Boris Beizer

Default "Gingery" glass working lathe

"Stan Schaefer" wrote in message
om...
Allan Adler wrote in message

Is it out of the question to modify Gingery's lathe design to make a
glass working lathe?

I wouldn't say it was impossible, but the ones I've dealt with were a
good deal larger, like about 2' swing or better. They also had two
headstocks at the opposite ends with matching chucks and the rotation
of each was synchronized with the other end. This last would be the
hard part without using stepping motors or selsyns. Worm drive with
some sort of speed-sensing control electronics, maybe.

The one's I've seen, some very old, just have the head stock and tailstock
geared together with a shaft or with pulleys and shaft -- just keep the heat
away from the belt. As said in other posts, there's very little force
involved and speed is generally quite slow. There are lots and lots of
burners, though; and plenty of steady rests and such.

--

Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" sprintmail.com