Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Mekon Mekon is offline

Default Secret door

Lee Michaels wrote on Friday :
"mac davis" wrote

Basically, it's a bookcase in a corner of the great room... I was going to
fill
it with 2 "normal" bookcases, but decided that we could pick up a little
storage
space by making it a 2' x 3' x 8' high "box" with bookshelves on the 2
outer
sides and the back for storage shelves...
I'm thinking small castors, mostly hidden by the footboard... roll it out
when
ya need to but stays hidden the rest of the time..

Reminds me of a kitchen we had at a house that we bought many years ago. We
had no storage for lids in the kitchen. It was a small kitchen and there were
no easy solutions. It had a drop in range and the only solution was to build
something under it. It had a recessed toe kick area with the molding under
the cabinet.

So I go poking under there with a screwdriver and flashlight to see if there
was any way to build something under there. I found a small crack and stuck
my screwdriver in it. I pried a little and was surprised that it moved. So I
go to work loosening this panel under the stove.

Well I worked at it a while and got it out from the stove a bit, I grabbed it
and pulled. To my astonishment, a drawer (on four small casters) rolled out
from under the oven.

Someone had already built the drawer I was thinking of building. I lived
there for two years before I discovered it. The people who sold us the house
did not know about it. It was well camoflauged. You would never be able to
tell by looking at it.

It was the easiest home repair I ever did! My wife had it full of lids and
pushed back under the stove in a matter of minutes.

I built one of those behind the rubbish bin drawer in the kitchen, as
yet no one but me knows it is there! Promise you won't tell?

Mekon