Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Hot cover on wall switch?

On Oct 10, 8:16 pm, "Gypsy Moth" wrote:
When I have turned off the kitchen light at the wall switch, I have noticed
that the cover is very hot. Is this normal?

It sounds like your dimmer is running hot, you can cheaply increase
the wattage rating of a dimmer just by replacing the plastic wall
plate with an aluminum wall plate, that will act as a good heat sink,
(but still doesn't mean you should exceed the max rating of the
dimmer). Plastic wall plates really stress dimmers that are running
above 70 percent of their rating. Or put a 1000watt dimmer on a 3
bulb fixture and it will run real cool if you're worried, maybe the
builder installed one rated too low for the bulb watts you have.