Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Air hammer chisel guidance

On 12 Oct 2007 01:57:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
(DoN. Nichols) quickly quoth:

O.K. My turn to ask a question instead of answering them.

I just picked up an air hammer with a set of five chisels.

OOH, a HF $4.99 special? I bought one for wood carving but I have a
good Chicago Pneumatic for real metalwork.

Looking at them, I see things which don't look right to me, but
since I've never used these, I don't know whether the problem is in my
expectations or in the actual chisel set that I got.

So -- Is there a good web site or book which will explain the
uses of these chisels, and how they should be sharpened? The extent of
the "manual" which came with the set was:

In Chinglish, of course? Try the descriptions on these sites, Don:
http://www.become.com/shop?q=air+chisel

http://www.granitecitytool.com/howtochiselhammeruse.cfm

Or try auto-body books: http://tinyurl.com/ytetog

1) Always put a few drops of oil in the hose before using the
air hammer.

No, put a couple drops in the inlet connector on the chisel. That way
it doesn't blow out when you connect the hose. (Those turkeys!)

2) Always put the retaining spring on *before* connecting the
air hose or using it.

Leave it on and only loosen it one turn (if you have to) to remove or
install chisels.

Absolutely nothing about the chisels other than "with a 5-chisel
set". :-)

At some point, I'll want to make rivet setting tools to go in
this, of course. And get a needle scaler for it as well.

For that matter -- do I need a cushioning glove to avoid damage
to my hand and wrist?

FIRST, learn to keep your hands off the chisel and out of the spring.
DAMHIKT. Then, once you've got that mastered, you can put on a
padded glove and gently help guide the chisel while you work.

--
Reading well is one of the great pleasures that solitude can afford you.
-- Harold Bloom, O Magazine, April 2003