Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default home warranty plans?(read)

Steve wrote:
Bruce wrote on 11 Oct 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

Hi,
Does anyone know of a good home or house warranty protection plan?
I would like to purchase one but don't know which are good or bad.
Does anyone have a feel for how good these plans are?

Your best bet is a savings account and a good handyman.

Most of the home warranties I've had have been completely useless. They
exclude all the things you expect will be covered, and the things that ARE
covered have a large deductible. The insurance company gets to pick the
workers based soley on price, not competence.

Do you get the idea I think they're a bad idea?

These are the same as the extended warranties sold for everything else --
a waste of money for the most part. The insurance company has to charge
more for the policy than they pay out, or they don't make a profit. The
average person loses money. Sure, a few people come out ahead, but you'll
have to look for quite a while to find them.

We got a home warranty with the new house; it was worthless but not for
the reasons you'd expect. The water heater shat the bed in the garage;
not covered (only the one in the primary dwelling were covered.) Oh
well, homeowner's took care of the water damage, and a new WH was no big
deal. The one time I could really have used it though was when the
ignitor went up in the furnace... at about 8PM. Since it was below
freezing, they authorized "emergency service" but I couldn't get anyone
to come out! Apparently you have to have a "service contract" with a
local HVAC company to get them to dispatch anyone; otherwise, too bad,
so sad, we'll get to you in a couple of days. I ended up staying up all
night moving a portable heater around the house so no area got too cold,
and showing up at the local parts place at 8AM sharp to buy a new
ignitor myself.

ISTM that if you want to spend money on something it would be better to
get a service contract covering furnace, A/C, and plumbing rather than
rely on a home warranty - you'll get better service that way should
something happen. It does seem like a racket to me, but whaddayagonnado.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel