Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Dewalt cordless clutch useless?

"** Frank **" wrote in message
. ..

My experience with Dewalt is completely negative. First, I has a 9.6V
model cordless. The gears stripped out of the tranny on that one. I
bought a spendy 14.4V XRP Cordless 1/2" drill to replace it. It does the
same thing as yours. The clutch only works right in second or third
gear. As if that wasn't bad enough, I think the brushes are going out on
it. It belches out smoke when you first use it, and continues to fan out
a burnt smell during use. The smoke started right after the warranty ran
out, of course.

Have you check the brushes? If I have a good parts diagram, I would take
apart the clutch and check it out - maybe a little grease or maybe a part
replacement.

I don't know about the 14V model, but my drill needs a special tool to
remove the chuck to get at the clutch.

I also have a 12" Dewalt sliding compound miter saw. It is overweight,
overpriced, and underpowered.

New blade does wonders. If its really under powered, try a thin kerf rip
blade.

I'm a 3 for 3 loser with Dewalt products, and everyone knows their stuff
ain't cheap.

I will never buy Dewalt again, no matter how much they pay Mike Holmes to
use their tools on his TV show.

Maybe certain people don't have luck with certain brand of tools - mine is
Craftsman power tools with the exception of the air compressor. But if you
buy DeWalt at twice the price of a Craftsman, you expect reliability and
more.

Good thing about DeWalt - my experience is the 12.5" wood planer anyway -
is you could buy parts at a very reasonable price years after the tool was
discontinued.