Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Jones Moe Jones is offline

Default Thermocouple testable?

Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 05:21:58 +0000, PaPaPeng wrote:

My gas furnace has a thermocouple problem. Stronmg winds blew out
the pilot light. I can relight the pilot light, but no heat.

Thermocouple is ok if it holds the pilot valve open. Need to verify
that there is a call for heat via the thermostat and the low voltage
supply is available. Check for 18 - 24 volts AC at the gas valve. If
so then the vavle is stuck or the coil is open. If not then check
your low voltage transformer and wiring. BTW the thermocouple should
put out maybe a tenth of a volt or so.

You are right and I total agree with you. He may have a defective gas valve
and if he does did the valve just wear out or is there a short in the
system, that took the valve out?
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician