Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default above stove microwave venting???

On Oct 11, 9:05 am, " wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would know if above stove microwave venting
is a standard location and size for microwaves? Girlfriend is redoing
her kitchen and has not decided on a specific microwave model/
manufacturer, but we need to relocate the venting and electrical for
it and put up new kitchen drywall, etc before cupboards get
delivered..

TIA for any assist.....

I just roughed in the ducting for my microwave. It's 3 1/4" by 10"
rectangular. If you are going through the wall, the top of the duct is
usually 3/4" below the cabinet, although on the template I have, it
says to cut out a 4" X 12" opening, with the top of the opening being
at the bottom of the cabinet .If you are going straight up, figure
about 3/4" away from the wall. Just make sure if you are going to
vent out the wall to make sure no studs are in the way. If there are
studs in the way, maybe you can change the location of the microwave
if you did not order the cabinets yet. Also, wherever the microwave is
going, make sure there are 2 mounting studs to secure it to.
For the most part , all of the microwave/ vent units are standard.